Re: Delta Compression and UTF-8 Header Values

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> --------
> In message <CAK3OfOi+cXMLGsMCpD1cRBxzz46wVYYj8nz021fhqhM7fTDMWA@mail.gmail.com>
> , Nico Williams writes:
>
>>> But how does the 2 ends agree on which encoding to use? It might be
>>> easier if HTTP just dictate UTF-8.
>>
>>Not might be.  Will be.
>
> Really ?
>
> I have a hard time squaring that with the "HTTP/2 is just a transport
> protocol, we don't change the semantics" credo that was waved around
> rather forcefully previously ?

I'm talking about *header* data, not payloads.  HTTP/2.0 is just a
transport as far as the data goes, but there is metadata too.

> [1] We can probably do much more for transmission efficiency by killing
> cookies and adding client provided session-identifieres, than any
> kind of encoding or compression will ever be able to...[2]

Sort of.  Servers will still want to store state on the client side
(generally encrypted, thus not further compressible).  See
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-williams-websec-session-continue-prob-00
.

> [2] Not to mention the improved privacy and legal compliance that
> would automatically buy everybody...

Yes, see draft-williams-websec-session-continue-prob-00 (and -proto-00).

Nico