Re: Do we kill the "Host:" header in HTTP/2 ?

--------
In message <CAP+FsNchuV1V2+deWTwRBC5RkmzV29QjKAM1z+pWVYZaorYUyg@mail.gmail.com>, Roberto Peon writes:

>I'm not sure I understand the part where you say that you'd have to
>text-process the entire headers to find the fqdn.

(In HTTP/1.1 you need to find the Host: header, it can be anywere,
any number of times, including 0 times.)

>Sending the components of the URI separately reduces the need to parse
>these things, and better, since most of the time the host won't have
>changed, a simple single 'if' allows us to proceed with the fqdn of the
>previous request without any parsing at all.

That's slightly different question IMO.

The question I'm asking, is this:

	Are we going to have both a "URI" and a "Host:" field ?

	The issue here is: What if neither or both have FQDN's,
	what if they disagree and all that jazz...

You question is more like:

	Are we going to transmit URI and FQDN separately ?

to which my counter question is:  Which "FQDN" would that be, the
one from the absolute URI ?  Or the one from the Host: header ?

It seems to me that the sanest decision is:  "All URIs MUST
be absolute, but we might preparse them and transmit the
fqdn separately for reasons of effciency, and we have no
dedicated Host: header in HTTP/2.0"