Re: #428 Accept-Language ordering for identical qvalues

On 2013-01-18 09:46, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> I'm with Roy on this one. It's not adding any new requirement about
> interpretation, simply stating that the list is ordered, as is actually
> the case from most senders.
> There is no requirement added/removed about server interpretation so
> those servers implementing random selection out of the ordered set are
> still compliant. Those servers implementing ordered interpretation are

They are? How so?

If the client sends

and the server returns German text, although English would have been
available, is it still compliant?

> now compliant - where before with the list defined as un-ordered they
> would be non-compliant due to mis-interpreting an un-ordered list as
> ordered.

That doesn't make sense, sorry.

If the list ordering is defined to be irrelevant it's totally ok to pick
the first match.

>> Right now they interoperate as specified by the spec. If we change the
>> spec, they do not anymore (or only some of the time).
>>

> The new spec does not forbid random selection. Merely states that the
> client *wants* it to be interpreted non-randomly. Obeying that client
> preference is still optional.

Again, that doesn't make any sense at all.

If we say that the list is ordered by preference (in absence of
qvalues), this implies that a recipient should pick the *first* matching
language. If it does not, it's not interpreting the message as defined.

Best regards, Julian