Re: delta encoding and state management

I don't believe you'll find an argument that finding a good or optimal
encoding is a bad thing.

So, lets do that part. We know about a few proposals for that already:
Delta, bohe, wap, etc.

I do disagree that good encoding is sufficient. Breaking things into
crumbs, for instance, still requires state at any entity that wishes to
understand the content. If you don't wish to understand the content, then
you obviously don't need to keep state.
Proxies and end-users often have competing motivations-- the end-user often
cares most about latency, the proxy about throughput. The idea here is
that, by allowing the decoder to control how much state the encoder uses,
at worst you collapse to just using the encodings. If that is slow and the
users/customers complain, then you increase the state size from zero so as
to decrease latency.

-=R