Re: Multiple header fields with the same field name - unwritten assumption about quoted commas in values?

On 16/01/2013, at 10:57 AM, Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

>>> Ah, yes.  But we could stop encouraging implementors to merge multiple
>>> header instances.  Then we only have to say that it happens and
>>> explain the pitfalls.
>>
>> It's extremely common to do something like:
>>
>> Cache-Control: max-age=60, must-revalidate
>>
>> Are you really saying that this should be discouraged?
>
> No.  I'm saying that it's OK for apps to do that but not any other
> entities (middleboxes), mostly because middleboxes can't possibly know
> about headers that hadn't been registered when they were implemented.

OK. Is this an actual problem you've encountered?

I'm fine with adding some clarifying text if it helps implementers, but I haven't seen this confusing any middlebox vendors; they tend to leave the bits alone...

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/