Re: P1: Content-Length SHOULD be sent

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 03:08:01PM -0800, Martin Thomson wrote:
>> >
>> > I think it should simply state
>> >
>> >     6.  If this is a request message and none of the above are true, then
>> >         the message contains no body.
>>
>> Is it really useful to distinguish between no body and body with no
>> content?  I can't imagine a use for such a distinction.

At least, it is easier to distinguish the two, than to make them equivalent.

The former is already what RFC2616 does.

The latter requires new effort, introduces incompatible changes. And
what does it achieve? It'll allow client programmers to add a
frivolous Content-Length:0 to GET requests, and to omit
Content-Length:0 from POST requests. But why would any programmers
need that?