Re: #385: HTTP2 Upgrade / Negotiation

On 24/10/2012 5:12 p.m., William Chan (陈智昌) wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>> On 23/10/2012, at 1:33 PM, William Chan (陈智昌) <willchan@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Overall, sounds good. I've included some clarifications/questions below.
>> [...]
>>> Do you mean the Chromium HTTP upgrade experiment agl referred to in
>>> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg05593.html?
>> No, IIRC there was also some broader experimentation using ads; I'll dig around a bit more.
>>
>> Of course, if Chrome (or any other browser) would be interested in running an experiment, we'd love to do that too -- provided we can have input into the design.
> Is there anything you'd like to change about the design in
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg05593.html? I'm in
> general supportive of running experiments, I just don't want to waste
> our time unless there was something deficient about the previous
> experiment. Also, I suspect a non-Google experiment would carry more
> weight :) External validation is good.
>
> On that point, at Realtime Conf today, Arnout Kazemier provided a
> bunch of data on issues with WebSockets deployment.
> https://speakerdeck.com/3rdeden/realtimeconf-dot-oct-dot-2012. As he
> says "tl;dl: Always use SSL".

The main deficiency I can see there is that it is aging data already and
measures what the situation is in a market where middleware authors were
given no incentive to support the feature.

The use case for Upgrade:HTTP/2.0 in particular is now providing that
incentive for middleware implementations to support Upgrade better and
indeed seems to have stronger support from middleware than end-software
authors. Working with us rather than assuming we we never implement a
needed feature will go a long way towards seeing that feature rolled
out. The results of that single test could change dramatically in the
coming years and are very likely to flow along with HTTP/2 rollout.

Amos