Re: Headers and Compression [was: Re: Getting (Officially) Started on HTTP/2.0]

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:

> CRIME works by observing the size of the resultant packet stream.
> Thus, if the plaintext is ever compressed within the same stream context
> as user-controlled plaintext, then the can learn something about what is
> going on, regardless of output salting, encryption, etc.

Ok, got it..

> With the compression that I'm proposing, you only learn something when
> you've guessed the entire plaintext for that field, verbatim, at which
> point you're just as well off by sending the data to the server directly.
> I'll be writing it up shortly.

Will definitely be looking forward to seeing that. I'd like to explore
whether the new mechanism is going to be efficiently compatible with
bohe-like tokenization to see if it still makes sense to head down that
path.

- James