Re: HTTP 1.1 --> 2.0 Upgrade

Patrick,

this is a good analysis, but my main quibble is that case 3b should be
renumbered to be case 0

Connecting to port 80 and upgrading to the protocol/version that you
want to use should be the basically defined way that a http semantic
connection is established, regardless of wire protocol and version
used.  All other mechanisms (NPN on 443, DNS SRV, cached redirection
to known HTTP/2.0 ports) should all be considered as optimisations of
the basic case.

Saving round trips is important and I'm all for optimisations for that
- but I think it is a MUST that HTTP/2.0 will work in an environment
where there is only port 80 and the ability to make a single
connection.

So I guess that means I support both  3a and 3b.

cheers

PS.  Does upgrade really mean an extra round trip?  Can't we pipeline
HTTP/2.0 request behind the upgrade request if we are confident of
success?

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
http://www.webtide.com