Re: Optimizations vs Functionality vs Architecture

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:

>> draft.
>> >
>> > That's why I've been saying from the start that SPDY was an interesting
>> > prototype, and now we should throw it away, and start from scratch,
>> being
>> > better informed by what SPDY taught us.
>>
>> A requirement for downgrade creates too many restrictions, even if we
>> throw SPDY away. The beginning of a 2.0 connection would have to look
>> enough like 1.x so as to fool existing servers.
>>

> Note that we'll always have to do downgrade-- perhaps someone deploys a
> proxy which doesn't speak HTTP/2, or perhaps the site administrator deploys
> a different server or load balancer that only speaks HTTP/1.1 when it used
> to do HTTP/2.
> These will happen and must be addressed.
>

>> I think we should live with upgrade only, as long as clients can cache
>> the knowledge that a certain server supports 2.0, so that they can skip the
>> upgrade the next time. The extra roundtrip on a first encounter is not that
>> bad.
>>

> I disagree-- I want the user to experience the lowest latency possible for
> all sites possible whenever possible! :)

The more I read through this conversation, the more I worry that all this
talk about zero-latency upgrade negotiation through multiple hops of
arbitrary 1.1 or 2.0 servers is going to lead to significantly more
complexity than originally hoped -- and not the acceptable good kind of
complexity that delivers real benefits in the end.

- James