Re: Straw-man for our next charter

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:

> Your post is consistent with the assertion that there isn't agreement yet
> about what "faster than HTTP/1.1" means, or how to compare proposals for
> improvement. And neither measured worst case latency or real network
> traffic with buffer bloat, or situations that would detect the impact of
> HOL blocking.

While SPDY leaves a tiny HOL issue, it fixes the massive one from HTTP/1.1,
which can only load a couple of resources in parallel per domain (2 by
spec, 6 by implementation best practices).  The tradeoff turns out to be a
boon in terms of reduced latency while also using fewer network resources.

I haven't seen any data that suggests otherwise.  Did I miss something?

For bufferbloat, using 1 TCP connection is strictly better than many - TCP
implementations don't throttle with multiple connections in mind; so while
HTTP systematically circumvents slow start by way of more and more
connections, SPDY embraces TCP's throttling and enables future enhancements
at the transport layer.

> Features like sniffing where the receiver needs to look at initial
> segments of traffic before dispatching exacerbate the impact of uneven
> latency by imposing an otherwise unnecessary serialization constraint.
>

> deployment issues are in scope... they are what drive the push for SSL in
> the first place.
>
> And if sites wont see improvement  (or even a performance hit) in a world
> of partial deployment of HTTP 2.0, who (that isn't already using SPDY as
> is) would deploy it?

We should expect that on the road to full deployment of HTTP/2.0 we will
see partial deployment of HTTP/2.0.  It seems perfectly fine to me that as
you deploy it more completely the benefit increases.

Mike