Re: Straw-man for our next charter

On 27/07/2012 5:27 p.m., Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> On 25/07/2012, at 10:02 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>>> Work will begin using XXX as a starting point; all proposals are to be expressed
>>> in terms of changes to the that document.
>> I just think I'll throw a spanner in the general direction of the works here....
>>
>> How realistic is it to expect the HTTPbis 1.1 draft documents fill that role? At least we can guarantee that modifications to adjust them for 2.0 specifics will not loose or add any features unintentionally that could affect HTTP/1.1 compatibility.
> I'm not sure what your concern is here...

concern 1) is the feature parity between the HTTP/1 drafts and any other
document that gets picked. ie workload to get the new doc completed.

concern 2) is the politcal battle to get document X to meet the WG goals.

Much like what I said in my expression of interest summary. The HTTP/2
drafts on the tables (own one included) do not come up to scratch for
HTTP/2 starting points.

I know a lot of people have interest in SPDY, but to make that the
HTTP/2 base doc there are a fair chunk of things which will need pruning
out - if only because they are new semantics. It is probably not a good
idea for the WG to start off facing that political battle to ensure its
semantically seamless to HTTP/1.1. The other documents are bare-bones
with specific focus on framing improvement over WG drafts part1-2.

However taking the HTTPbis draft documents and replacing sections of
them with SPDY mechanisms, frame design, etc as we agree on particulars
- that has a clear chance of faster success.

Amos