Re: HTTP2 Expression of Interest

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>wrote:

> No, RC4 is almost NEVER used on its own as you seem to imagine.

If you've ever looked at OpenSSL's config, you probably know they just call
it "RC4+MEDIUM" or something like that.  I was merely using the shorthand.

> What is used is actually RC4 + SHA1. And the real security value
> actually comes from the integrity check, not the stream cipher.

Yes, this is what Google uses.

> For HTTP/2.0 you would be much better off using AES-GCM which does
> encryption and integrity in one operation.

I'm not sure why this is better than RC4, when the author of this thread
was suggesting we should use no encryption at all.

Mike