Re: Re[6]: HTTP2 Expression of Interest

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>wrote:

> While use of port 443 and TLS may be a practical requirement for use
> of SPDY under certain network constraints, a protocol requirement is a
> very different matter.
>
> It should be obvious that a protocol be capable of deployment under
> common network contraints but that does not mean that every
> implementation of the protocol MUST implement or use the work-around.
>

> Nobody is even being very clear about the precise nature of the
> requirement 'must implement TLS' and 'must use TLS' are very different
> criteria. There is only one precedent for requiring implementation of
> a security protocol in a non security protocol that I am aware of and
> that is IPv6 which is hardly an inspiring precedent. I cannot think of
> any case where a non security protocol has mandated use of encryption.

I thought everyone was talking about "must use TLS".

> TCP is a very small protocol stack and HTTP is not much bigger.
>
> TLS is a huge protocol stack and should not be implemented by people
> who don't know what they are doing. We actively discourage
> proliferation of crypto stacks in the security area these days.
>
> PKIX is a big, complicated spec that has technical, legal and policy
> facets.

I basically agree with this, yes.

Except most can get this from their operating system.  It's provided for
free in windows, macos, ios, and I believe android (but I have to check).

> TLS requires PKIX, you can't have one without the other. So mandating
> TLS in HTTP/2.0 is really mandating TLS+PKIX. If people don't want to
> rely on CAs for their trust anchors they will also need DNS, DNSSEC
> and DANE.

CA trust anchors are policy, not implementation.

I would propose do what other protocol specs do, which is to leave policy
to the implementations.

Mike