Re: SPDY Header Frames

In message <CABP7Rbfg6nf=qJOSAyC8mGcfDQxFmxREOqmb88_fSqiyc5Kv+Q@mail.gmail.com>
, James M Snell writes:

>Yeah.. um.. ignore that compression ratio, lol...

I would have checked it but I have become allergic to dissecting
gzip files after implementing ESI:includes on gzip'ed files in
Varnish :-)

>[...]so if our header encoding is compact enough without it, why spend
>the additional cycles to save 20 bytes or so.

Indeed.

Speaking of which:  I was surprised to find that the SPDY dictionary
didn't contain any fodder for compressing User-Agent ?

Was this future-proofing/neutrality, to avoid trademark issues or
because there were no reasonable general benefit to be had ?

(And what DO we do with User-Agent in HTTP/2.0, it must be possible
to come up with something actually usable... ?

>I am interested in hearing what further optimizations could be made to the
>structure.

I take it that you have read draft-tarreau-httpbis-network-friendly-00 ?

It has a lot of good ideas...