Re: HTTP/2 Expression of luke-warm interest: Varnish

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 10:58 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> It's quite clear from those extra words that SPDY is going to happen,
> simply as a matter of sheer corporate power.
>

>From a very early point with spdy google has been open about its content
and open to input on it. At first that wasn't very thorough or organized
but that was more for lack of interest among any third parties - as more
people were willing to engage them the more effort they put into that
work. At this point spdy, as non-ietf work, has a busy public mailing
list full of technical discussion along with the results of actual
running code, working documents in public repositories, an engaged
editor (no longer even employed by google), and a vibrant forum for both
interop work and discussion on future development. In short, it works
better as an open process than 90% of IETF WGs do in practice.

What it lacks of course is governance. A structure like the IETF
guarantees continued open input in a way that a corporate structure
cannot. Google is conducting themselves admirably on this front, but a
company simply cannot make that guarantee alone.

Mozilla has been talking with Mike and team at Google for years before
we went ahead with this approach. Every time we had this discussion we
would push for an IETF process. Their response was consistent: as soon
as other organizations were ready to be part of that process they were
ready to dedicate resources to the IETF path. And here we are today -
with the protocol offered as the basis of a next step (and embraced by
many because it provably improves things), but open to the scrutiny of
all.

So rather than an exercise of "sheer corporate power" I think we're
seeing an excellent example of open consensus and running code.

-Patrick