Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

On 2012-03-31 01:53, Mike Belshe wrote:
> Before thinking this way we should look at how well other mandatory but
> optional to use features have turned out.
>
> One such example is pipelining.  Mandatory for a decade, but optional to
> implement. We still can't turn it on.

But then many people have it turned on, and it seems to be on by default
in Safari mobile. Maybe the situation is much better than you think.

> Options simply don't work - we need to make this stuff mandatory from
> the get-go or it  is very likely to have the same result that we've seen
> in the past.

I don't think that's correct.

Options do not work if and only if they are usually not switched on.

For instance, if header compression is optional, but common UAs will use
it by default, it *will* be implemented.

Also, this is a feature that can trivially tested in a test suite.

Best regards, Julian