Re: Performance implications of Bundling and Minification on HTTP/1.1

On 23/06/2012, at 6:08 AM, Roberto Peon wrote:

> I'd argue another point.
> The amount of work necessary to optimize site performance for HTTP/1.1 today is large. The amount of knowledge necessary to do it properly is also large.
> This is not the way it should be!
>
> The protocol should make it easier to do things right, and it should help in the (extremely frequent and likely) case that the site designer gets it wrong in little ways.

This is definitely an area that should be discussed. I've heard a few people express skepticism about multiplexing overall, because it requires the server to prioritise what's in the pipe, which in turn requires greater knowledge (and probably a bucketload of heuristics).

Right now those heuristics are applied to how browsers make requests, but at least the data is applied in the same place it's most usefully sourced, and of course there are fewer browser implementations than there are server deployments (which is potentially the level that this kind of tuning would need to take place for multiplexing).

Discuss :)

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/