Re: Significantly reducing headers footprint

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:32:41 +0200, Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com> wrote:

> This is good work, Willy.
>
> Any perf results on how much this will impact the user?  Given the
> stateful
> nature of gzip already in use, I'm betting this has almost no impact for
> most users?

Gzip works better on text files than binary files, at least for small
messages where transferring a custom huffman table creates a big relative
overhead, so doing things binary doesn't have to be better. If you start
doing unaligned bits it gets really bad, as gzip works on byte level (c.f.
flash files). You can of course try to construct your binary format so
that it looks ASCII-ish for all common values...

/Martin Nilsson