Re: Explicit Proxy (draft-rpeon-httpbis-exproxy)

A caching proxy won't be able to inspect any traffic going through the TLS
tunnel because the client doesn't provide the decryption key material for
it.
The only requests the caching proxy can inspect are those which the client
chooses to do outside the TLS tunnel, and, at least in the proposal, the
client should only do such if it has a cryptographic hash of the content
from a trusted source so that it can verify integrity.

In all cases, in the draft I just submitted makes a tunnel to the eventual
endpoint so it does always get the certs and can verify that the proxy
isn't mistaken about whom to connect to...

On distinguishing between 'trusted' and caching proxies.
The client doesn't always control the network over which it must make a
connection. Perhaps the client is forced to use a trusted proxy (e.g.
within a school). In such cases, the content-provider should be notified so
that they can vary the content it provides (as in your example). If you
can't trust the client you have no trust chain to the user anyway... (they
could lie about anything in that case)

Despite the name 'trusted', it isn't true that both parties will believe
that the proxy should be trusted, and in all cases, integrity of all
resources is verified. The 'trust' part in the proposal is that they get to
inspect the traffic and advise either side to drop specific requests.
This will help to keep the incentive for trusted proxy owners in-line with
those of the client and content-providers, at least hopefully.

I'll definitely have to read your draft :)

-=R