Re: 2.0 and Radio Impacts/battery efficiency

Hi William,

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:56:22AM -0700, William Chan (?????????) wrote:
> I'm speculating here, but a proxy deployed by the mobile service provider
> may have a reasonable estimate of the radio state.
>
> I think Roberto is just being succinct here, but to further drive the point
> of explicit proxies rather than implicit proxies here, an explicit proxy
> will let the client multiplex (SPDY / HTTP2.0) to the proxy, and not just
> to origin servers. This way, even if the origin server FINs a connection,
> the proxy won't have to deliver a FIN to the client, since the
> client<=>proxy connection hasn't closed. And even if it has, the proxy
> could choose to do implicit closes (no FIN) rather than explicit closes.
> Future traffic would either get a TCP RST, or if it's a SPDY-type proxy,
> SPDY PINGs will allow detecting dead connections to the proxy.

I agree. I've been pushing hard to get explicit proxies working at an
operator because it only offers benefits :
  - no wasted round-trip in DNS requests
  - persistent connections => no more SYN/FIN
  - TCP uses optimal congestion window
  - pipelining always possible from the very first request

Willy