Re[2]: multiplexing -- don't do it

------ Original Message ------
From: "Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
>On 04/03/2012 02:55 AM, Adrien W. de Croy wrote:

OK.  At the end of the day, governments have other options.

They can pass laws, and prosecute software vendors and users.  They can
develop their own protocols which comply with their laws.

they don't need the IETF to condone them.

I hate to think what a really hard-line regime would do.  They could
push the line pretty hard.
I'm not saying this as a justification for wiretapping.  In fact I'm
not really interested in the wiretapping issue so much.  I agree with
the reasons for not allowing it, especially where the conclusion (IMO
rightly) is reached that it actually reduces security for all.

I also believe however that mandatory crypto would reduce its
effectiveness for all, due to the IMO inevitable problems that would
come with deploying it on such a massive scale, so we may end up with
reduced security in the places we currently really need it.

Adrien