Re: Backwards compatibility

On 31/03/2012, at 12:31 PM, Mark Watson wrote:

> Interesting - I knew this was not a new idea, but did not know about this draft.
>
> Any idea why it did not catch on back then ? I could imagine at that time pipelining was not widely enough supported to make this interesting.

It'd be interesting to hear from Jeff, but my impression was that layering it into existing implementations was too difficult, and because the risks of it being misinterpreted by a slightly buggy implementation were too great.

In a way, the same reasons have also hurt pipelining adoption.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/