Re: Negotiated private cache storage allocation

 On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 20:16:16 +0000, Mike Kelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone aware of any proposals that extend HTTP to allow servers
> and
> clients to negotiate client-side storage allocation for client-side
> (private) caches?
>
> Basically, I'm looking for a way for a server to indicate how much
> storage should be allocated for caching responses from a particular
> domain name, and possibly also for the client to be able to indicate
> how much allocation was actually possible.
>
> Aside from that, if you have any thoughts on whether or not this is
> really feasible or is just a plain bad idea - please let me know
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

 Can you explain why this is needed please? It seems to be something the
 browser agents should be allocating dynamically internally instead of
 pre-allocating blocks of wasted space.

 For an example; I can just imagine sites like SourceForge negotiating a
 few dozen GB to be allocated then deallocated for a visitor, who only
 hits once on a 20KB page, simply because it allows code repository
 browsing with huge memory requirements elsewhere on the site.

 AYJ