Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-nottingham-http-new-status-02.txt

401 is a specific status code for kicking in *HTTP* authentication.
It requires servers to supply an appropriate WWW-Authenticate header.
It seems to be not a "general status code" of your sense.

The proposed 511 is a status code in general 5XX category,
indicating that there is no way at HTTP level to successfully
complete the request at this moment, due to some server-side reason.
The 511 status carries a "hint", in addition to usual 5XX statuses,
to clients that the provided response is not supplied directly
from the requested peer, and some man-in-the-middle has
refused to forward a request without some more user
interactions (usually an application-level authentication or payments).
Such interactions are performed in some higher protocol layer than HTTP.