Re: Expect header 'understand' vs 'meet'

On 2011-09-07 21:38, Jan Algermissen wrote:
> Dear WG,
>
> I have a question on the Expect header section 9.2 in HTTPbis 16[1]
>
> Is my understanding correct:
>
> 1. A proxy that finds an expectation extension in the Expect header that it does understand but cannot meet must respond 417
> 2. A proxy that finds an expectation extension in the Expect header that it does not understand ignores the extension
>

> Jan
>
> [1] http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-16.txt

"The Expect mechanism is hop-by-hop: that is, an HTTP/1.1 proxy MUST
return a 417 (Expectation Failed) status code if it receives a request
with an expectation that it cannot meet."

I think that implies 417 for unknown extensions; how would the proxy
"meet" the expectation when it doesn't know what it is?

Best regards, Julian