Re: DELETE and 410 Gone

On 25 août 2011, at 16:35, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Alexandre, Julian,
>
> Le 25 août 2011 à 09:10, Alexandre Morgaut a écrit :
>> This difference is an interesting piece of information to give to the user but for some privacy policy it might also be a lack of security.
>
> Ah! interesting. Tell us more.

In Europe there is a very important topic called in French "droit a l'oubli numérique"
A bit hard to translate... It means, if you have, or other have, put some of your private data on the Web, but later, you want/need this data to be removed, you should be able to do it. There is Lawers working hard on that. This requirement may aslo occur on public data.

Use cases:
 - change of identity of somebody, maybe a whole family for their security
 - someone is tagged by a third party on a picture and want this tag to be removed (the picture may be completly unrelated to the person like a porn or a racist picture just to give him a bad reputation)

The fact is that with some very google friendly URL anyone could try some manually constructed URL to know if something has be related to another

ex:
Someone told me this guy was member of this organization
I check

-> GET http://thisorganiztion.org/members/john-doe
<- 410 Gone HTTP1/1

If this wanted all his informations being removed from this organization website (he may not agree any more with its actions), here there is a problem...

Regards,

Alexandre Morgaut
Product Manager

4D SAS