Re: I-D Action: draft-nottingham-http-new-status-00.txt

Hi Mukyta,

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 07:08:37AM +0300, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
> Well, Wikipedia claims that such code may be useful as a "deterrent for
> malware" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes),
> giving no other information.  I don't actually know how exactly it works
> for this reason, but I suspect that when the origin server has detected
> that it is infected by some malware, and its policy is to immediately
> disconnect from the Net, and, respectively, all UAs connected, it will
> choose to close the connection by 444 response, giving no other
> information.  In other words, 444 is useful in the case of "emergency",
> when something happens to server.

Well, then it should be a 5xx, not a 4xx, as the problem is not related to
the client's request but to the server's operational condition. Probably
that this 444 was randomly picked as handful at that time without much
preliminary thinking. I observe that 4xx and 5xx are often mixed in field
and that's pretty concerning, because it makes troubleshooting much more
complicated.

Regards,
Willy