Re: #177: Realm required on challenges

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 05:30:35 +0200, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> How does a proxy state (using Realm)
>
> "use those creds for any site you access through me"
>
> if the base URL must be combined with the realm.  Unless you can say
> realm ="../../*" or something.
>
> The problem is
>
> a) the proxy MUST provide a realm
> b) the realm must be combined with the base URI

The solution is IMO simple: The "base URI" for the proxy is its hostname
and port. That is how it is implemented in Opera.

Alternatively, the WWW and Proxy auth headers define different types of
scopes, where the WWW variant is realm + base URI, and the proxy one is
realm+hostname+port; the effect is the same.

The WWW and proxy auth systems have, by design, different scopes; which is
why they are using different headers. The definitions for how they are
used need to take that into account.

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen

Senior Developer                     Email: yngve@opera.com
Opera Software ASA                   http://www.opera.com/
Phone:  +47 24 16 42 60              Fax:    +47 24 16 40 01