Re: #285: Strength of requirements on Accept re: 406

On 2011-06-22 11:18, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Some background here:
>    http://www.stevesouders.com/blog/2010/07/12/velocity-forcing-gzip-compression/

If I read this correctly, this is a workaround for broken intermediaries
(and maybe IE6 behind proxies).

Do we really need to address this in the spec? And does it affect
anything beyond Accept-Encoding?

Are we sure that 406 is supposed to be about all "Accept-*" headers?

Maybe a compromise would be to mention that some intermediaries are
known to eat "Accept-Encoding", and thus origin servers can pick
Content-Codings of their choice if they are sure the recipient will be
able to process them.

Best regards, Julian