Re: 203 Non-Authoritative Information: deprecate?

203 is an appropriate reply for origin servers that do not accept
cookies or want to apply such strictness (or alertness) other than
simply ignore such headers. It may be harder to pinpoint software that
actively uses it other than for backward compatibility or tolerance of
header style metadata.

No on deprecate because that is appropriate for origin servers'
recognition of such information. UA could simply say, "I didn't require
or request any extra metadata, so 203 means don't use the request, don't
reply to the query, and do appropriate error." Whereas, the
application(U) just turns 203 into 200 for greater compatibility.

Message queues is one example of such UA. People "should" use some sort
of message queue, or similar UA database, instead of cookies.

In re:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/msg02716.html

There could be the hint for "status-203" to trigger an error (409)
instead of compatibility (200). (Also apropos to UK's anti-cookie law.)

I'm glad you brought this up because I wondered yesterday how-to enforce
the simple GET/PUT with no extra headers. The intent would be to
tokenize the entire header data as one single packet that could be
stored as session data in the UA, given any UUID. That is logically the
same as header compression, especially if out of all queries the only
difference is body content and resource path. That could further let the
entire tokenized header into private URLs: "GET
/Header-UUID/Private-UUID/(XPath)..." and where the message is "simply"
XHTML.

The stateless/stateful debate I think has delayed such usage of private
URLs and UAs. One reason why SOCKS5 still has support... mystery why
it's not more standard in regards to TLS and hypermedia.

On 05/27/2011 10:14 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-14#section-8.2.4
>
> Does anyone know of software that actually does something useful with this status code?
>
> Regards,
>

> --

--- https://twitter.com/Dzonatas_Sol ---
Web Development, Software Engineering, Virtual Reality, Consultant