Re: I-D Action:draft-reschke-rfc5987bis-00.txt

On 2011/04/16 5:59, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Internet-Drafts@ietf.org wrote:
>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>>
>> 	Title           : Character Set and Language Encoding for Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Header Field Parameters
>
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-rfc5987bis-00.txt

> So while there is some value in retaining the title, maybe get rid of at
> least the HTTP expansion? Also, http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#C020 but
> in this case I suppose an argument can be made to keep "character set".

I guess the first five words were meant to parse as
    Character Set Encoding and Language Encoding
which would mean that "encoding" does not stand for transforming one
stream of values into another (as it does in most other usages), but
just for applying and attaching a single code value to some data. In the
vicinity of "Character Encoding", this is highly confusing. I guess a
much better title would be
    Indicating Character Encoding and Language for HTTP Header Field
Parameters

It would also be helpful to understand what changes are planned.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reschke-rfc5987bis-00#appendix-A, which
should document them, says [[none yet]].

On top of that, I'd like to repeat that this stuff is hopelessly
confusing and overengineered. There's no need for encoding labels, all
that's needed is to accept that UTF-8 works in HTTP headers (and fix it
where it doesn't yet). As for language tagging, the uses for this a very
few and very far between.

Regards,   Martin.