Re: Fwd: I-D Action:draft-loreto-http-timeout-00.txt

My initial comments...

There's quite a bit of overlap between the purpose of this I-D and the
one I've been working on recently discussed on this list relating to
progress notifications.

That raises a couple of questions for me.

1. Why not use a 1xx response to keep the connection alive?

This will keep intermediaries (including NATs) alive.  HTTP already
mandates that HTTP/1.1 agents support this, empirical evidence has not
been gathered about whether proxies typically block these or pass them
through.

This would avoid the need to send a "NULL" response, close and re-open.

This also solves the issue where the server may not be in a position to
ensure that a response is given within any timeframe communicated by the
client, since the server can in any case send back a 1xx response.

2. Is this a use case for allowing entities on a 1xx response?

I'm sure this would break a heap of things, but perhaps the actual
communication of the change in state could also be communicated in the
1xx response, if not in an entity, then perhaps in a carefully formatted
(experimental?) header.  Then multiple events could be signalled over
the same connection.

Regards
Adrien