Re: proposal for issue #178

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> I don't see any point in having an integrity check for a message containing
> only a partial range.  Surely you want to accumulate the entire entity by
> piecing together all the parts, and then you use the MD5 to check the total.

Imagine downloading a large file in many small chunks from many different
servers.

In the end, you might sit there with a huge file with a bad checksum without
being able to pinpoint the single small chunk that had the error. So now you
need to redownload the whole thing again, instead of just regetting the small
chunk that contained the error.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se