Re: Query string cacheability

As one of the strong proponents of the querystring rule in the orginal
HTTP WG, my thinking at the time was that web application authors expected
that query string identified content would not be cached. At that time,
there was no standard way to specify the cachability of responses. I think
this rule/suggestion was considered a bridge to the future when there was
an alternative.

While I agree, there is a suitable alternative, I think removing the
restriction without an express deprecation note will not call sufficient
attention to the change.

Something to the effect:
  "This restriction was specified historically because it was a known
   expectation by web content developers that such content wouldn't
   be cached, the lack of consistent cache-control alternatives and
   the tendancy of some caches of the time to treat the lack of an
   expires header as doesn't expire vs. expires immediately. Cache
   controls specified for HTTP/1.1 are sufficent and should be used
   to express caching expectations.:

Dave Morris