Re: #73: httpbis and deflate compression...

On 27.03.2010 00:10, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Thanks, Mahdavi.
>
> The proposal we've had in the ticket<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/73>  for eight months is to add:
>
> "Note that some incorrect implementations may send deflate encoding without a zlib wrapper when using this encoding."
>
> The proposal below seems like an elaboration of this:
>
> "NOTE:  Some implementations have incorrectly used only the RFC1951 encoding when returning data using the "deflate" content-coding.  Implementers should be aware the a compliant implementation of the "deflate" content-coding should follow the "ZLIB Compressed Data Format Specification" as defined in RFC1950."
>
> Any objections to this?

I didn't have objections; but while adding this I came to the conclusion
that it would be better to clarify the definition itself, and then only
add a short notice wrt broken implementations.

I ended up with -- hopefully this is acceptable for everyone:

-- snip --
6.2.2.2.  Deflate Coding

    The "deflate" format is defined as the "deflate" compression
    mechanism (described in [RFC1951]) used inside the "zlib" data format
    ([RFC1950]).

       Note: Some incorrect implementations send the "deflate" compressed
       data without the zlib wrapper.
-- snip --

See <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/801>.

Best regards, Julian