Re: HTTPbis and the Same Origin Policy

Much of this material is in fact part of the HTML5 and XMLHttpRequest specifications.

The XMLHttpRequest specification is in Last Call as of 19 November (with 16 December deadline), and it includes a specification of the same origin policy for XMLhttpRequest -- see step 13 of the open() method [1].

http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/#the-open-method

I'll note that that specification lacks any security considerations at this point, and that calling out the same origin policy more prominently (and talking about DNS rebinding) sound like they would be fine and timely additions to that spec.

Additionally, I suspect that in-depth review from the HTTP Working Group would be an extremely valuable for this spec.

HTML5 defines a number of relevant policies:

  http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#security
  http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#security-1
  http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#security-2
  http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#relaxing-the-same-origin-restriction
  http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#security-and-privacy-considerations
  http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#security-with-canvas-elements

There are a few more places.  Unfortunately, the easiest way to identify all cases in which HTML5 explicitly specifies a security policy seems to be searching for the "SECURITY_ERR" exception.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>