Re: Input on request for link relation

Bill,

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Bill de hOra <bill@dehora.net> wrote:

> > (opaque URI-based) rel so I have proposed class="action" be added for
>
> <link rel="stop@occi"
>
> where "occi" is registered as for use by occi.
>
> IOW allow the link registry to define rel scopes. The url or clash thing
> sucks and I don't want someone rolling up with a curies/qnames or some other
> XML macrocrap proposal for Atom.

Thanks for the feedback - this is an interesting idea, however it's not
immediately clear to me how this helps us as one of our main motivations is
that others can create their own actions without bothering us or having to
be registered.

Basically we'd be trading one opaque identifier that doesn't need to be
registered for a shorter one that does and unless we were to accept
petitions from the public it would still not be possible to identify which
relations are "actions" anyway (consider "stop@occi" vs "quiesce@vendor").
The use case is the client saying "ok all these things are actions so even
if I don't understand what "quiesce" means I can still show a button to the
user in the right place".

A reversed, dotted domain format ala "org.occi-wg.action.stop" was something
else we considered but it too would not enjoy backwards compatibility with
existing implementations. It would however provide a simple solution to the
registry "problem" and could be easily differentiated from "short" relations
by the presence of "." and URIs by ":" (or some other regexps). That is to
say, it's compatible with what we have today, infinitely scalable,
distributed, concise, basically everything you want in an identifier.

Sam