Re: Issue 194: restricting allowed characters in quoted-pair

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>wrote:

> Sam Johnston wrote:

>> I would say implementations SHOULD NOT use quotes where not required but
>> MUST always accept them.
>>

> So what's the interop problem ([1]) that we would solve by saying "SHOULD
> NOT"?

Simple implementations (such as sysadmin scripts) will often handle quotes
poorly or not at all, particularly where they're used to dealing with single
instances of registered relations. That is to say that using quotes
unnecessarily is likely to cause interop breakage with poorer
implementations (unfortunately not everybody reads standards and of those
that do, not all of them respect them).

Sam