Re: Input on request for link relation

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Kris Zyp <kris@sitepen.com> wrote:

> > I like "updates" or "notifications" -- "hub" seems specific to
> > pubsubhubbub, whereas the pointer might be to a SIP notifications
> > service, an XMPP PubSub service, or who knows what.
> Actually, didn't SIP already define a relation name of "monitor" (and
> "monitor-group" for notification of resource changes [1]? Why wouldn't
> we follow that precedent (pubsubhubbub could use "monitor" that
> couldn't they?). Or does monitor/monitor-group imply something different?
> [1]
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-roach-sip-http-subscribe-02#section-5.1

Well spotted. For me to "monitor" or "watch" something requires conscious,
ongoing effort by the client. The dictionary
definition<http://www.google.fr/search?q=define:monitor>supports this:
'
*keep tabs on; keep an eye on; keep under surveillance; "we are monitoring
the air quality"; "the police monitor the suspect's moves"*'. It's a nitpick
but I wonder if there are use cases for a "monitoring" interface (e.g. for
polling) - for example a site offering a link that an uptime monitoring
service could use to to test the various subsystems, or an actual monitoring
service?

OTOH terms like "notify" and "push" imply a passive rather than active role
for the client ("update" is out because it can be confused with "edit" - in
that the resource itself is being updated).

Sam