Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

Noah Slater wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:14:38AM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Noah Slater wrote:
>>> And the registration says:
>>>
>>>   A URI that refers to a parent document in a hierarchy of documents.
>>>
>>> I think the "a" in that sentence allows you to choose any.
>> But that doesn't *necessarily* mean they can be at different distances
>> in the hierarchy (there are use cases where a resource is part of
>> multiple hierarchies, thus would have multiple "direct" parents).
>
> The registration does not require any cross-relationship between uses of the
> relation for a single resource. The parent, depth, and hierarchy of one
> relationship could be totally disjoint to another.

I think I agree with that.

What I wanted to say is that the text in the registry *can* be read to
support only relations to *direct* parents.

Looking at
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-divilly-atom-hierarchy-03#section-2.3>,
I'm pretty sure that that draft restricts "up" to direct parents, so it
appears we need to invest some work here (maybe head over to the Atom
mailing list???)

BR, Julian