Re: Review of Content-Encoding: value token [exi]

On 26/08/2009, at 9:12 AM, John Schneider wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Thanks for the pointer. This makes it clear there is an open action to
> change the IANA registration procedures for content codings. I
> noticed there
> was no date associated with the associated milestone #08. Do you
> have an
> idea when this milestone will be completed and the new procedures
> enacted by
> IANA?

We don't have a definite date for -08, but I suspect it will be in the
next month or two, at the most.

Even then, the new requirements won't take effect until we finish our
work, so the current process is indeed what you want to follow, if
you're looking at doing this soon.

That said, it would be good if what you do is done with an eye towards
the new regime, to reduce the amount of problems we see down the road.
In particular, it looks like the content-coding and transfer-coding
registry will be one and the same, so it would help if you could
design your registration with that in mind.

Cheers,