Re: iPhone streaming Internet-Draft posted

Hi Mark

sorry for being slow (vacations and travel etc.)

On Jul 15, 2009, at 11:00 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>1) Can you speak to why you chose to do this by extending m3u,
>rather than using HTTP's built-in partial content mechanism (ranges)?
>
>While you'd need to specify some metadata (e.g., headers to describe
>where alternate encodings/bitrates can be found), this would be easy
>to do, and would have the advantage of not requiring the server to
>split up the file into multiple chunks at different URIs (an
>administration and operations headache).
>
>The analogy that comes immediately to mind is PDFs; the approach
>you're taking is roughly equivalent to Adobe saying that PDF files
>should be split into a URI-per-page and then putting an index file
>on the site to link to each page.

This approach doesn't work with CDNs, who don't support adding custom
headers to HTTP responses and cannot cache a single
infinitely-growing resource which is being supplied to them in real
time (i.e. a live video stream).

On top of that, the client would depend on a single connection to a
single server for the life of the presentation, which prevents
load-balancing and makes failover considerably more difficult.

The playlist approach has a few other advantages. Using a playlist of
segments gives the client enough information to switch between
streams of different quality dynamically. It also allows the content
provider to express a range of time in which a client may seek.

>2) Apple has disclosed IPR <https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1142/>
>for this draft.
>
>My layman's reading is that anyone who wants to host a stream using
>this technique requires a written license from you, including the
>possibility of paying a fee, once your patents are granted.
>
>Is there anything else we should know about this? As it is, (and
>only speaking as an implementer), this just gives me more motivation
>to use other techniques.

I'm not qualified to speak to the legal implications of the IPR
disclosure. Note that we offered the QuickTime file format to ISO
(for MPEG-4) under the same terms.  Send me direct email and I'll try
to work with you to clarify this status.
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.