Re: Content-MD5 and partial responses

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> fre 2009-07-24 klockan 20:26 +1000 skrev Mark Nottingham:
>> Just another point of data which has come up before:
>>
>>> HTTP/1.1 defines a Content-MD5 header that allows a server to
>>> include a digest of the response body. However, this is specifically
>>> defined to cover the body of the actual message, not the contents of
>>> the full file (which might be quite different, if the response is a
>>> Content- Range, or uses a delta encoding).
>>
>> That's the beginning of RFC3230, which is on the standards track.
>
> I know, and I obviously do not share the same view of HTTP as RFC3230,
> not only in this aspect, as I also tried to point out earlier.
>
> But with the amount of damage already done to Content-MD5 I am fine with
> deprecating it as historic if that is the seen as the viable solution to
> this discussion, effectively removing it from HTTPbis with a mention
> that there was a ambiguity in if this applied to the variant or the
> message-entity (or watever to call it, before T-E) of 206 responses.
>
> But I do not think that is needed to go that way as I would be very
> surprised if any implementation could be found implementing Content-MD5
> on the partial entity of a 206 response and not the corresponding 200
> response. I would expect that the implementations that can be found all
> implements Content-MD5 based on the corresponding 200 response.

HEAD /Distrib/jigsaw_2.2.6.zip HTTP/1.1
Host: jigsaw.w3.org

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Cache-Control: max-age=432000
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 06:15:07 GMT
Etag: "1k8cb5f:127e0lb8o"
Expires: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 06:15:07 GMT
Last-Modified: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:09:24 GMT
Server: Jigsaw/2.3.0-beta1

-----

GET /Distrib/jigsaw_2.2.6.zip HTTP/1.1
Host: jigsaw.w3.org
Range: bytes 0-1

HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content
Cache-Control: max-age=432000
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 06:15:23 GMT
Etag: "1k8cb5f:127e0lb8o"
Expires: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 06:15:23 GMT
Last-Modified: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:09:24 GMT
Server: Jigsaw/2.3.0-beta1

         ~~Yves