Re: Content-MD5 and partial responses

fre 2009-07-24 klockan 20:26 +1000 skrev Mark Nottingham:
> Just another point of data which has come up before:
>
> > HTTP/1.1 defines a Content-MD5 header that allows a server to
> > include a digest of the response body. However, this is specifically
> > defined to cover the body of the actual message, not the contents of
> > the full file (which might be quite different, if the response is a
> > Content- Range, or uses a delta encoding).
>
> That's the beginning of RFC3230, which is on the standards track.

I know, and I obviously do not share the same view of HTTP as RFC3230,
not only in this aspect, as I also tried to point out earlier.

But with the amount of damage already done to Content-MD5 I am fine with
deprecating it as historic if that is the seen as the viable solution to
this discussion, effectively removing it from HTTPbis with a mention
that there was a ambiguity in if this applied to the variant or the
message-entity (or watever to call it, before T-E) of 206 responses.

But I do not think that is needed to go that way as I would be very
surprised if any implementation could be found implementing Content-MD5
on the partial entity of a 206 response and not the corresponding 200
response. I would expect that the implementations that can be found all
implements Content-MD5 based on the corresponding 200 response.

Regards
Henrik