Re: p1-message-07 S 7.1.4

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> mån 2009-07-20 klockan 18:08 +1200 skrev Adrien de Croy:
>

>> * a busy - try again later status (like SMTP 421) (actually this would
>> be exceedingly useful for rate limiting connections - a try again with a
>> retry-after header - maybe new status 309?).
>>

> 503 + Retry-After exists already for this purpose and closely related
> situations.

I thought I tried this once before and found a lack of client support
for it.  But that's still better than 0 current support for a new one
though.

> 3xx is inappropriate as it's not a redirect to a new resource.
>
> 4xx is inappropriate as the request as such (when isolated) is fine.
>
> 2xx is inappropriate as it's not a successful response.
>

>> * an advertisement for the number of connections a server will accept
>> from a client
>>

> Yes.
>

>> * something else
>>

> Not sure anything else is needed.
>

>> However I think these could risk over-complicating the issue for dubious
>> benefit.  Are we even clear on what it is desired to limit?
>>

> For normal pageloads with pipelining enabled 2 is a very reasonable
> limit.
>
> Without pipelining at least 4, maybe more.
>
> For other applications other requrements may exists.
>

>> I've seen this many many times.  Even accessing an idle test server
>> (over GB LAN) via a proxy was hugely slowed down loading many images due
>> to the 2 connection limit in IE7.  It makes sites slow, whether the
>> sites are overloaded or idle.
>>

> Pipelining disabled?

yes - via a proxy.  Due to complexity of heuristics for detecting if a
server supports pipelining or not, and fallback processing, it's
difficult to proxy pipelining.

We serialize all requests via WinGate, since otherwise all aspects of
the request/response chain (including all plugin filters) need to
support it.  We do this with TCP flow control (stop reading from the
client socket while we process the request/response)

Regards

Adrien