Re: NEW ISSUE: content sniffing

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:
> Do servers sniff to try and fill in the Content-Type field?

Yes.  We found this is quite common when we examined open-source Web
applications that accept user uploads.  For example, Wikipedia does
this.

> Most I think have a fairly simplistic static mapping of file extension to Content-Type.

This is how Apache works.

> Many types of content already have a signature in them which can be used to
> determine type. e.g jpegs, gifs etc.

Wikipedia uses this technique.  Mismatches between a site's sniffing
algorithm and the user agent's sniffing algorithm often lead to
exploitable vulnerabilities.  See Section 2.5 of
http://www.adambarth.com/papers/2009/barth-caballero-song.pdf for two
concrete examples of how this happens.

Adam