RE: Use of Link rel+type for application discovery

I think you know why I'm asking this. The new relationship type 'describedby' is going to be shared by multiple descriptor formats. It is not likely that applications will support multiple formats for a single use case (that is, support child safety ratings in both XRD and POWDER). Most applications will choose a single descriptor format and extend its schema/syntax for their own needs.

This means, when looking to obtain such application specific descriptors, the 'type' of the document is very important. If it cannot be trusted, it seems the implication is that applications must perform this:

1. Look for links with the desired 'rel'.
2. Sort them in the order of preference based on their 'type' (known types first, blank type second, unknown types last).
3. Fetch each linked document until the "right" one is found.

On the other hand, if an application specifies:

Look for a link with rel='describedby' and type='application/powder+xml' only, it makes life much easier. It can also go further and in cases where the type is application specific (such as 'example/child-safety-3.0+xml'), require that one and only one link is allowed/required.

While 'type' is a hint, it is authoritatively representing the viewpoint of the resource providing the link. Even of the linked resource is of a different type than indicated, shouldn't the intention of the linking resource be allowed to use in such a way?

EHK