Re: Proposal for i23: no-store invalidation

tis 2009-06-09 klockan 11:49 +0200 skrev Roy T. Fielding:

> >  * Cache-Control: no-store
>
> On a request, this is an instruction to the proxy/gateway to bypass
> the cache (if any).  On a response to a validating request, it
> invalidates whatever is cached because it is new metadata.

Which isn't really said anywhere from what I can tell..

> >  * Cached response considered fresh by cache but not meeting request
> > requirements, and the new response is not cacheable.
>
> That invalidates the current cached item if the cache sent
> a validating request.

By what rule?

And it may well be the case that the cache did in fact NOT send a
validating request here. One obvious case is if the previous response do
not have any cache validator so it can't be validated.

> >  * As above, but cache for other reasons selects not to store the new
> > response.
>
> That is outside the protocol, I think.  What matters is that the
> server's current instructions regarding the representation be
> understood (explained by the protocol).

Not sure I follow you there. Current as in current for this request
only, or current as in current state of the server?

Regards
Henrik