Re: comments on draft-barth-mime-sniffing

Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>     Our data suggests that the amount of AV content on the net, today,
>     that is served under 'wrong' MIME types is perhaps 10-15%, which
>     doesn't seem ignorable.  One of the 'wrong' types is
>     application/octet-stream, which seems to invite sniffing;  and of
>     course a lot of the rest is text/plain, which is (I believe)
>     Apache's default.
>

> It's ignorable since that data is not currently served for consumption
> by the <video> tag.

One other interesting data point here is that upcoming versions of
Apache will no longer send a default MIME at all, if I understood the
comments in the relevant bug correctly.  That is, if there is no type
configured for the file via some mechanism the server knows about, it
will simply send no Content-Type header and let the consumer decide what
to do.

-Boris